Members of the HTA,
As stated in previous messages, my aim is to send out the President’s Message once a week and my preference would be Thursday of every week. Please email if you have thoughts or suggestions on the matter.
I want to take a moment to welcome the new teachers to our city and for those of you who’ve been around, thank you for your continued service. Sometimes, we feel beaten down and unappreciated, yet we endure.
How do I know that you’re all amazing teachers? You wake up every single day, come to work and bring every ounce of energy you can muster to teach our children. That is amazing! Please remember that we are all one team and we need to not only be able to talk to one another, but we need to stand together.
Now, on to more pressing matters specific to the HTA.
1. Part of the plan for this Executive Board is to start visiting schools every week. The first will be Morgan School on Wednesday, September 10 at 3:45 p.m.. I will post the schedule for the coming months in next week’s President’s Message.
2. Several bylaw change proposals:
· Retirees can retain membership, while limited, if they pay a nominal fee/dues.
· Members who resign retain no membership rights effective on their resignation date.
· Teachers/members involved in fighting dismissal/unjust termination will retain membership in good standing.
3. Some dates to keep in mind:
· Board Meeting, September 9th
· MTA Forum: September 15th @ HCC Kittredge Center (more details to follow)
4. We are in the middle of contract negotiations. We will be updating you very soon on everything that has transpired thus far. The “Bottom Line”, a message from the negotiations team will be published very soon. There is lots to discuss, so please be on the lookout for this message, as well as your monthly “Common Purpose” newsletter.
I’d like to conclude with what would have been the closing to my convocation address:
No matter what anyone says, OUR students are awesome. No matter what anyone says, OUR city is awesome. No matter what anyone says, OUR teachers are awesome. Hold your heads up high. Walk with confidence. You’re a Holyoke Teacher. Be proud.
As always, feel free to contact me with any union-related concerns. Also, for the most recent updates see: